Educational Objectives & the Student Learning Outcome
Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biosystems Engineering (BE) program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
The Educational Objectives of the Biosystems Engineering (BE) B.S. Program at the University of Arizona are to produce graduates:
- Who are effective engineers within natural resources and biotechnology related industries; and
- Who have the foundation to perform and lead engineering projects and make significant contributions; or
- Who are enrolled in an advanced engineering or medical or other professional degree program and are successful in those.
The Biosystems Engineering Learning Outcomes are defined as a combination of knowledge and skills that a Biosystems Engineering (BE) student is expected to attain at the time of graduation. Thus, a Biosystems Engineering B.S. graduate will have, at the time of graduation (based on the 2019-2020 Criteria for Accrediting Engineering Programs):
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies
UA Academic Program Review Assement for BE: http://assessment.arizona.edu/ag/agricultural_biosystems/undergrad