Directed Research & Independent Study
- Directed Research Application: PDF | Fillable PDF – for BE 492, see also Course Descriptions
- Independent Study Application – for BE 199, 299, 299H, 399, 399H, 499, 499H, 599, 699, see also Course Descriptions
- Application for internship – due prior to start of internship. Information required on this form:
- Student name, year of study (Jr, Sr), current GPA, current credit hours earned.
- Proposed location of internship
- Name of facility, address, name and contact information for supervisor
- Proposed work plan - a brief description of the work to be conducted
- Assumption of risk and release form – due prior to start of internship
- Student internship evaluation form – due at the end of internship
- Supervisor’s internship evaluation form – due at the end of internship
- Internship report - due at the end of internship
Students perform the internship for a minimum of 45 hours per credit hour. The supervisor will be asked to document the number of hours performed. Upon return to campus, the student will submit a final report documenting their activities. The length and content of the report will depend on the number of credit hours. A 1 credit report will consist of 10-15 pages of text (approximately 5000 words) detailing the goal of the work, primary activities, engineering design content, and a summary of what was gained. Note, it is University policy that all students performing an internship be in good academic standing with The University of Arizona and maintain at least a 2.00 grade point average prior to enrolling for internship. It is the responsibility of the student to identify the specific internship. In many cases, the ABE Department has contacts and information on potential internship hosts. Students are encouraged to identify their internship at least 3 months prior to initiation.
As per UA policy, students in paid internships need to indicate on their application form and in their report how their internship work hours and duties exceed the normal job requirements with the sponsoring organization. Students are responsible for ensuring that their supervisor is able and willing to submit an evaluation on their behalf. This report can be written or orally presented to the internship coordinator depending on policy of the sponsoring organization. Students submit their final report prior to the end of the semester for which they have registered for ABE 393.