BE Specific Graduation Requirements
4 Year Plans:
- Biosystems Engineering 4 Year Plan
- Pre-Health/Pre-Med 4 Year Plan
- College of Engineering 4 Year Plans
All BE students must take and pass BE 493 Internship for a minimum of 1 credit hour and a maximum of 4 credit hours. Each unit of credit requires a minimum of 45 hours of work. Internships must be specialized work on an individual basis, consisting of training and practice in actual service in a technical, business, or governmental establishment. More information on the internship requirement here
All BE students are required to take the Fundamentals of Engineering exam. The Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam is generally your first step in the process to becoming a professional licensed engineer (P.E.). More information on the exam can be found here.
The BE department recognizes that the exam registration fee is expensive. We are fortunate that we have alumni who both value the FE exam AND understand the financial burden that the FE exam can impose. Currently, the department can help defray half the cost of the FE exam registration fee. FE exam assistance application form: PDF | Fillable PDF.
General University Undergraduate Graduation Requirements
All course work and requirements for this degree must be completed prior to the date the degree is awarded. The Department recommends that students should review their Student Advisement Reports throughout their academic career as well as set up meet with the Department Advisor/Program Coordinator to ensure that they are on track for graduation.
- The University of Arizona and the Arizona Board of Regents have sole discretion over all curricula changes.
- Courses, programs & requirements may be suspended, deleted, restricted, or changed in any manner, at any time.
- Students must remain currently informed about all policies & other info that bears on completing a degree.
Additional units will be required to complete this degree if a student:
- is admitted to the UA with deficiencies;
- changes his/her academic plan(s);
- fails to meet minimum course/plan requirements;
- ineffectively plans or fails to execute a course of study that leads directly to degree completion; or
- is completing more than one baccalaureate degree. Completing a second bachelor's degree at The UofA requires no fewer than 30 units in addition to the units required for the first degree, and all requirements for the second degree must be met.
The following requirements must be met for Graduation
- Units Required and Cumulative GPA
- 128 Units are required at a 2.0 GPA
Upper Division Units
A minimum of 42 units of upper-division credit are required for the Biosystems Engineering Degree.
Units in Residence
A minimum of 30 units in residence at the University (excluding correspondence credit and credit by exam) is required.
Final Units in Residence
A minimum of 18 of the final 30 units taken toward degree requirements must be in residence at the University of Arizona.
Mid-Career Writing Assessment - Complete 2nd semester English Composition with a B grade or higher. Students who do not earn a grade of B or better in 2nd semester English Composition must also satisfy a college or department writing requirement. Honors Option: Students must earn a C or higher. Consult your major advisor if you do not meet the 2nd semester English Composition.
Correspondence and/or Exam Credit
A maximum of 60 units of Correspondence Credit and/or Exam Credit may apply toward graduation.
Completing a second bachelor’s degree at the University requires no fewer than 30 units in addition to the units required for the first degree, and all requirements for the second degree must be met.
Non Degree Seeking Limit
A maximum of seeking 15 units completed as a non-degree student may be used for fulfilling undergraduate degree requirements.
Community College Limit
Maximum of 64 units of community college courses work may apply toward U of A graduation. A minimum of 64 units of course work must be completed at a 4-year institution, military institution or as test credit.
PE (Physical Education) Course Limit
No more than 3 units will apply toward a student graduation requirements.